Hockeyroos secure third draw against Great Britain

Saturday February 20, 2016

Sunday’s sixth and final test will be the decider between the Hockeyroos and Great Britain after their third draw of the series in Perth. Georgie Parker’s deflection helped the Hockeyroos to bounce back from a one goal deficit moments after the halftime break.

After a delayed start due to a watering failure, Australian forward Georgie Parker retaliated Sarah Haycroft’s late second quarter strike for Great Britain exactly one minute after the halftime break, equalising the match 1-1.

Speaking afterwards, Head Coach Adam Commens said, “I thought our intensity levels were a little bit low in the first half, we had a late start and the heat contributed to our slow first quarter.

“We built into the game nicely and created ourselves enough chances to score. However, it was a very scrappy game and we can certainly be a lot of better.

“Throughout the series we have been working hard on our fitness, training and doing gym throughout the matches. It has been very much like a training week for us, so the girls are starting to get a little tired towards the end of the tour, and I’m sure Great Britain are starting to feel it as well.”

Looking ahead to the final match of the series tomorrow, Commens added, “We have named a strong team in Sunday’s match and I’m sure Great Britain will also be wanting to finish off strongly. I anticipate tomorrow to be a very similarly hard-fought game. We will look to execute our details better and we will be treating it as a final and taking it very seriously.”

During the first quarter, Australian goalkeeper Rachael Lynch was on fire under the bar. Denying Great Britain’s attacking threats on numerous occasions, Lynch and Australia’s defence managed to keep the score unbroken during the first 15 minutes of play.

Working together as a team, Great Britain broke through Australia’s defence during the 29th minute. Going one-on-one with Australia’s goalkeeper Lynch, Sarah Haycroft received a layoff from the top of the attacking circle before coolly slotting the ball into the back of the net, rewarding the visitors with a 1-0 lead.

One minute after the halftime break, Australian forward Georgie Parker found herself in the right place at the right time. Retaliating Great Britain’s earlier goal, a stick deflection was all it took to equalise 1-1 with Australia’s opponents.

Australia showcased their first penalty corner variation of the series during the second half of the match. Off the back of several penalty corner opportunities, Australia’s layoff was quickly rejected by Great Britain’s goalkeeper Maddie Hinch, leaving the Hockeyroos to settle for their third draw of the series 1-1.

It was an important milestone match for Great Britain’s captain Kate Richardson-Walsh, who officially broke assistant coach Karen Brown’s all time playing record, making her 356th appearance. The 35-year-old will now be known as Great Britain’s highest ever capped female player.

The final match of the series will be played on Sunday at 3pm AWST at the Perth Hockey Stadium.

News Source: Hockey Australia

Match Details – Game Five:

Georgie Parker 31 (FG)

Sarah Haycroft 29 (FG)