Heat silence the Scorchers

Thursday January 5, 2017

The Brisbane Heat have taken the honours with a convincing nine-wicket victory over the Perth Scorchers at the Furnace this evening.

Perth Scorchers all-rounder Mitch Marsh scored 70 with the bat against the Brisbane Heat.
Photo courtesy of WACA/Perth Scorchers

Chris Lynn top scored with 98 not out and claimed the man of the match after he smashed an equal record 11 sixes for a Big Bash League innings and survived three dropped chances.

With Brendon McCullum at the other end together they shared a new and unbeaten Big Bash second wicket record partnership of 148 runs.

Lynn’s innings also saw him move to within six runs of becoming the highest run scorer in the Big Bash League history.

The Brisbane based side rebounded from defeat to the Sydney Sixers on Tuesday evening to claim victory this evening in the 15th over after earlier restricting the Scorchers to 6-173.

Chasing 174 runs the Heat openers, Jimmy Peirson in particular, were brisk to see their team achieve the required target, taking to the six-over power play by scoring 66 runs while only losing one wicket.

Peirson took to David Willey’s bowling in the first and third overs of the innings with 16 of his 18 runs coming off the English international paceman.

He smashed his first two balls to the boundary and survived his third delivery offering Michael Klinger a catching chance at mid-wicket. Peirson was eventually dismissed in the third over when he played over the top of a full length yorker ball.

With the Heat well above the comparative rate both McCullum and Lynn were able to control the remainder of the innings though it was Lynn at his destructive best that ensured Brisbane moved back to the top of the BBL Season Six points table.

McCullum survived a caught behind appeal in the sixth over, judged to be a wide down leg side though the video replay suggested otherwise as it looked to be off the glove through to keeper Sam Whiteman.

Lynn meanwhile was credited with his fourth six, off Agar in the eighth over, when he was recalled after the video replay showed Willey landed on the rope while attempting to take the catch at long on.

A fired-up Mitchell Johnson tamed the pair in his first over but was taken to by Lynn with two massive sixes helping the Queenslander raise his bat for his 12th Big Bash League half-century.

Earlier, Scorchers skipper Michael Klinger won the toss and elected to bat first eager to continue the winning trend so far this season at home.

Mitch Marsh took it up to the Heat bowlers in the middle-late stage of the Scorchers innings with a blazing 70 off only 41 deliveries, an innings that included five fours and three sixes.

With his international career on hiatus for the moment the Western Australian seemingly had a licence to swing hard which helped push the home team to the WACA-par total of 170-plus off their 20 overs.

Ashton Agar made a notable return to the Scorchers line-up having been released by the Australian Test squad to replace injured skipper Adam Voges.

Nathan Reardon meanwhile came into the Heat line-up for injured spinner Samuel Badree who will miss the next two weeks with a grade one hamstring strain.

It was a solid and consolidating start from the home team in the afternoon sunshine. Klinger hit the games’ first six in the fourth over before being dismissed caught by Mark Steketee at third man.

Back-to-back fours from Ian Bell off Nick Buchanan’s bowling had the Scorchers well placed for what looked like being a challenging total after the power-play.

Bell however was unlucky to be given out caught behind in the seventh over with the video replay suggesting he missed an in-swinging delivery from Mitchell Swepson.

The Marsh brothers, Shaun and Mitch, combined for a handy 38-run third wicket partnership, slicing through the gaps in the field.

Swepson however returned in the 11th over to have Shaun Marsh caught from a looping top edge drive which was snaffled by Buchanan at deep long on.

Ashton Turner and Sam Whiteman fell in the chase for quick runs while Agar (13 not out) received the biggest applause of all Scorcher batsmen from the near-capacity crowd when he walked out in the 18th over.

At the other end Mitch Marsh was pulsating along and looked poised for his maiden Twenty20 century until troubled by a Steketee slower ball which he top edged high for the bowler to chase after into the mid-wicket region.

Willey made the most of his last at bat this summer for the Scorchers before he leaves for international duty with England’s One-Day team in India with a cameo five runs.

Next match for both teams is a return clash at the Gabba Ground in Brisbane on Wednesday evening.

2016/17 Big Bash League – Match 17

Perth Scorchers 6-173 (20 overs)
M.Marsh 70, S.Marsh 32, Klinger 14, Swepson 2-27, Buchanan 2-42

Brisbane Heat 1-174 (14.4 overs)
Lynn 98no, McCullum 50no, Peirson 18, Willey 1-30

Match Result: Brisbane Heat won by 9 wickets
Player of the Match: Chris Lynn (Heat)

Toss: Perth Scorchers, batted first
Umpires: P Gillespie, J Ward
Match Referee: P Marshall
Venue: WACA Ground, Perth
Crowd: 20,446.

Perth Scorchers: Michael Klinger (c), Shaun Marsh, Ian Bell, Mitch Marsh, Ashton Turner, Ashton Agar, Sam Whiteman (wk), David Willey, Jhye Richardson, Mitch Johnson, Andrew Tye.

Brisbane Heat: Jimmy Peirson (wk), Brendon McCullum (c), Chris Lynn, Alex Ross, Joe Burns, Nathan Reardon, Ben Cutting, Jack Wildermuth, Nick Buchanan, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson.