ARU approve foreign player concession
Friday July 13, 2012
Australian Rugby Union today announced the Western Force will have the opportunity to recruit an additional developing foreign player in 2013.
The announcement comes following a request from the Perth based franchise earlier in the year and the Foreign Player Contracting Rule being revised and approved by the ARU Board.
Prior to the change the Force, Brumbies, Reds and Waratahs were provided the option of recruiting two developing foreign players, or one marquee and one developing foreign player.
The Melbourne Rebels are the only exception to the Foreign Player Concession Rules, allowed to recruit a maximum of 10 foreign players.
ARU’s General Manager High Performance, David Nucifora, said the decision was made after considering the Force’s submission for the concession.
“We have worked closely with the Force and carefully considered their request to be granted the ability to recruit an additional developing foreign player in 2013,” Nucifora said.
“The concession will allow them to have either two developing foreign players and a marquee foreign player, or three developing foreign players.
“As with all submissions and requests from our FxPro Super Rugby Franchises we have worked closely with the Force, discussed the request at the last Super Rugby Commission meeting and considered all the factors at play.
“The outcome of this process is that we believe the best way to support the Force moving forward is to provide this concession.”
ARU also indicated that the Rebels will be provided with the same foreign player concessions as the Force in 2016 when their current concessions fall back in line with the other Australian Franchises.
“As part of the decision to provide the Force with a concession we also worked with the Rebels who requested they be provided the same concession in 2016 when they were due to fall back in line with the other Franchises,” Nucifora said.
“Currently the Rebels can recruit up to 10 foreign players, that number will fall to six in 2014 and four in 2015 before aligning with the other Australian franchises in 2016.
“The Rebels requested they be provided with the same concession as the Force, a request that we have also agreed to.”
While both the Force, and Rebels in 2016, have the opportunity to recruit an additional foreign player to their squads it is not compulsory for them to do so, with both clubs able to recruit a local player should they choose.
The concessions will be reviewed year-on-year as part of the regular Super Rugby review process.
• Have a view on this story? Send us your feedback!
Mug's Guide to NBA Game 7
Carlton fan banned for bottle throw
Meninga cleared of wrong doing
Eagles boosted for big Hawks clash
Loz: Suncorp doesn't intimidate us
Senate gives green light to Ahmed
Teams: all the round 13 ins and outs
We're laughing at cocky Poms: Harris
Godwin extends stay with Force
Wallabies squad for Lions Tour confirmed
Waratahs earn courageous win over experienced Force side
Boomers level series with China thrashing
Phoenix release five players
Reds score two tries in historic Lions tour match
McBreen to join Ibini in Shanghai
Six-try victory shoots Brumbies into finals
China holds off late Boomers fightback