Thorby re-signs with the Cowboys
Wednesday August 1, 2012
North Queensland Cowboys forward Ricky Thorby will stay with North Queensland until at least the end of the 2014 NRL season after agreeing to a two-year contract extension today.
The 27-year-old, who first joined the Cowboys at the end of the 2010 season, is enjoying the best year of his NRL career, becoming a regular member of the fourth-placed NQ line-up.
After making his Cowboys debut in the round five victory against Canberra earlier this year, Thorby has gone on to play another 13 matches with his strong running off the bench being a feature of his performances.
He had a season-high 119 metres against South Sydney in round eight and stood out during the State of Origin period when the Cowboys were without their State of Origin props Matthew Scott and James Tamou.
“Ricky has seen the results of a lot of hard work and everyone at the club is happy that he’s had such a good season with us this year,” Cowboys General Manager – Football Peter Parr said.
“He’s become a regular in our forward pack and we believe that will continue to be the case for the next two years.”
Thorby will again come off the interchange bench when North Queensland host Manly in Close The Gap round at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.
“The Cowboys are a great club to be at,” Thorby said.
“You can tell we are moving in a positive direction and that there are good times ahead.”
• Have a view on this story? Send us your feedback!
Waratahs stun Brumbies in brutal derby battle
Force sunk by Sharks in second half
Carle returns to Sydney FC for two seasons
Mathewson into starting XV to face Sharks
Ryan and Mitchell to start against Brumbies
Simon signs on for season nine
Kookaburras call on Olympic experience
Mitch Nichols headed for Victory
‘Goal Machine’ McBreen remains a Mariner