Wednesday September 23, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
Queensland Rugby has secured Australian Under 20 and Australian Sevens scrumhalf Richard Kingi on a QAS Reds Academy contract for 2010.
Kingi was drafted into the Queensland Reds squad in 2009 after a spate of late season injuries, making his Reds debut off the bench against the Crusaders in Christchurch and also getting on against the Hurricanes in the final round.
The former Queensland Under 19 represented Australia in the 2008 and 2009 iRB Under 20 Junior World Championships and was shortlisted as one of four contenders for iRB player of the Tournament at the 2009 event in Japan last June.
The quietly spoken 20-year old, who hails from Tauranga in New Zealand, said it had been his goal to secure a contract with Queensland in 2010 and making his debut for the Reds in 2009 had been an unexpected bonus. Read more
Friday September 11, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
Queensland Rugby will recruit a new Head Coach for the Queensland Reds after deciding to terminate Phil Mooney’s contract, effective immediately, QRU Chairman Rod McCall announced today.
Mr McCall said a meeting of the QRU Board in Brisbane this morning had decided to accept a recommendation from a professional rugby consultative group to terminate Mooney’s contract one season short of his three year term, in order to recruit a whole new coaching team to take the Reds forward.
Backs Coach Damon Emtage resigned at the end of August and Forwards Coach Mark Bell left earlier in the year. Mooney’s contract was due to expire after the 2010 Super 14 season but Mr McCall said he and the other members of the consultative group had reached the conclusion that Mooney’s contract should not be renewed. Read more
Season Memberships are now on sale for the Queensland Reds’ seven Super 14 home matches in 2010, which includes the first Super Rugby match at Ballymore since 2005.
Six of the Reds’ seven home games – including the opening round blockbuster against arch rivals the NSW Waratahs on Saturday, February 13 – will be played at Suncorp Stadium, recently voted the best rugby venue in the southern hemisphere.
The seventh – the week three clash against New Zealand’s Blues on Saturday, February 27 – will now become a sentimental “back to Ballymore” night due to a scheduling conflict at Suncorp Stadium. It’s expected to be a full house.
The 2010 draw for the Reds, confirmed today by the competition organiser SANZAR, includes two Friday night home games and a Sunday afternoon home match – all at Suncorp. Read more
The Western Force will host the Brumbies at ME Bank Stadium in round one of the 2010 Super 14 in the first of the club’s six home games for the season.
The traditionally fiery Australian derby will have added spice next year, with 2009 Wallabies squad members Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine returning to Perth to face their former teammates while ex-Brumbies Nic Henderson and Mark Bartholomeusz could face up against their old side for the first time.
It will also mark the first time a Super Rugby game has been held at ME Bank Stadium, which has previously hosted pre-season trials and Western Force Gold games. The 2009 warm-up against the Crusaders was played in front of a sell-out crowd at the venue.
The WA side will also host marquee home fixtures against the reigning champion Bulls, the 2009 runners-up Chiefs and perennial contenders and fan favourites, the Crusaders. Read more
The Brumbies will play seven home matches at Canberra Stadium in 2010 following the release of the Super 14 draw today.
The ACT-based side will host 2009 Super 14 finalists, the Chiefs, and semi finalists, the Hurricanes, as well as an always anticipated Australian derby against the Queensland Reds on Saturday, May 1.
The Brumbies will open the home season against the Lions on Friday, March 5, with the Sharks, Cheetahs and Highlanders also making their way to the national capital during the season.
The two-time Super Rugby champions will kick off their season in Perth when Brumbies recruits Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine take on their former province, the Western Force, on February 12. Read more
Friday September 4, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
The Western Force has secured one of the game’s hottest young prospects, James O’Connor, until the end of 2011.
The 19-year-old has enjoyed a meteoric rise in Australian Rugby in just over 16 months, beginning when he became the youngest ever Super 14 debutante in April 2008 and culminating in a hat-trick of tries in his run on debut for the Wallabies in Canberra earlier this year.
The Nudgee College product etched his name in the history books by becoming the second youngest player to ever pull on a Wallabies jersey during the 2008 Spring Tour.
His star continued to rise with a stunning first full year of Super Rugby with the Western Force, scoring five tries in ten matches this season, appearing at both inside centre and fullback. Read more
Wednesday September 2, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
The Queensland Reds will return to Ballymore for one of their seven Super 14 rugby home matches in 2010.
Season memberships for a red hot seven game package – including the one-off Ballymore match against New Zealand’s Blues set down for February 27 – go on general sale on September 7, with existing members able to renew their seats from today at a preferential price.
The 2010 packages again include ‘kids free’ family membership options.
Under the provisional Super 14 draw, the remaining six matches at Suncorp Stadium include a season opening blockbuster against the NSW Waratahs on February 13, followed a week later by a Friday night match against New Zealand’s Crusaders. Read more
Friday August 28, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
Australian Rugby Union wishes to clarify its position on the Melbourne bid for the 15th Super Rugby licence following a newspaper report this morning headlined “ARU spurns Victoria in Super deal”.
To avoid further media confusion the ARU Board has endorsed, and continues to support, Melbourne as its preferred location for the additional Super Rugby team when SANZAR expands the competition in 2011.
Therefore, ARU rejects any notion that Victoria has been spurned. To the contrary, ARU has embraced Melbourne.
Any suggestion ARU had turned its back on Melbourne could only have been leveled if Western Sydney or Gold Coast had been nominated as the preferred Australian location. Read more
Wednesday August 12, 2009 by Media Release - Rugby Union
Melbourne has won endorsement from the ARU Board as Australia’s sole contender for the 15th Super Rugby licence.
The hugely-popular provincial competition will expand by one team in 2011 with the SANZAR joint venture to decide later this year on where the new side will be established.
While the 15th team will play in the Australian Conference as part of a revamped and extended Super Rugby format, interested parties in South Africa and New Zealand are also bidding to have the side based within their national boundaries. Read more
Saturday July 25, 2009 by Adam McBride
The Brumbies have kicked off their French Tour with a 20-12 loss to CS Bourgoin-Jallieu at Stade Pierre Rajon overnight.
Despite scoring two tries to the home side’s one, the Brumbies were guilty of giving up penalties within kicking range, with the French Top 14 club capitalising with five penalty goals.
Trailing 14-12 with six minutes remaining, the visitors forfeited an opportunity to take a late lead when flyhalf Matt Toomua missed a relatively straightforward penalty attempt in front of the posts.
Bourgoin-Jallieu were quick to respond by kicking a 50-metre penalty goal of their own before landing another on full time to extend their final margin to eight points. Read more